Do you have a dream of getting a job in the UK? 🇧🇷🇬🇧
“So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.” — Christopher Reeve.
First, I will tell you my story
I came to the UK in 2012, after leaving IBM, working with technology since 1999, this was a great and big step in my career. I had a friend in IBM that recently had moved to the UK to work for a consultancy company, he recommended me for an IBM Maximo consultant role, an Enterprise Asset Management system, so yes, I work with Technology and have a passion for it. If you don’t know what is IBM Maximo, I will explain it later. I didn’t have a European passport or any other way of getting easy access to the UK market job, so a Tier 2 sponsoring was necessary.
When I first moved into the UK, I earned 40.000 pounds as a Consultant, moved to 50.000 as a Senior and up to 70.000 as a Principal, and these salaries are all above the average, so the quality of life was always good and worth it. You will probably earn per year, not months as many countries do.
Hot Skills opportunities and English level
Some people will say that is really hard to get a sponsor in the UK, however, there are a few areas in the software development world that can easily get a sponsorship. How the sponsorship works:
- Find the job at Linkedin or Totaljobs or Indeed.
- Apply for the job
- The company will need to post your job for 6 months in the UK before getting someone from abroad.
- Make sure you have TOEFL or IELTS with a minimum level of 5, you can take the test while the company post your job in the UK.
- After doing the interviews, you will get a job offer letter. That’s what tells you got the job. If you accept, they will send you the contract.
- Find someone to do the immigration appliance, check the contact below.
- After applying for the VISA, you can then move to the UK, most of the companies will give you a relocation package(Some money, so you can settle in the UK easily, like rent and others).
- Get your national insurance number (This number is the number you will pay tax)
- The company will give you a letter of employment, you can use it to open a bank account.
- Get a temporary drivers license, easy to apply in the post office, this can be a form of document for you.
Now, let’s talk about some techies that can get you in the UK, for a broader list, look here: https://softwareplanetgroup.co.uk/top-software-development-trends-to-watch-out-for-in-2021/:
- IBM Maximo
Maximo is enterprise asset management software originally developed by Project Software & Development with the first commercial version released in 1985. Purchased by IBM in 2005, it is now branded as IBM Maximo Asset Management.
Apache Kafka is a framework implementation of a software bus using stream-processing. It is an open-source software platform developed by the Apache Software Foundation written in Scala and Java. The project aims to provide a unified, high-throughput, low-latency platform for handling real-time data feeds.
Kubernetes is an open-source container-orchestration system for automating computer application deployment, scaling, and management. It was originally designed by Google and is now maintained by the Cloud Native Computing Foundation.
- Infor EAM
Infor EAM is an enterprise-grade solution that scales with your business. Manage every asset in your business from facilities to vehicles to machinery in the cloud. Mobile Access. Track Repairs. Data Integration. Reduce Breakdowns. Rapid Deployment.
As you can see, these are all skills hard to find in the market, so as harder as it can get, easier to find a sponsor for your VISA. Another good topic is machine learning and the language Python, often I see opportunities in this area.
Brexit was the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community at 23:00 31 January 2020 GMT.
With Brexit in place, people worldwide will have the same rights to apply for a VISA to work in the UK, which means you won’t be special if you have a European passport anymore. Of course, for European citizens, that’s absolutely rubbish, however, for people in other countries, like Brazil, that opens a big door.
List of Tier 2 UK sponsors
The UK publishes a list of sponsors from time to time, have a look at it here. Usually what people do is to check if the company you are applying for the job is already included, if yes, that makes the chance of you getting a job much higher as once on the list, easier to provide you with the sponsorship.
The contact for law immigration advice
My main contact for immigration and the person who did all my VISA process is:email@example.com
Life in the UK, how I see it.
Let’s be honest, the weather is absolutely rubbish 😅, however:
- ⛈ You work indoors most of the time, so the weather does not matter much.
- You can travel to other countries like Spain, Portugal for summer holidays much cheaper than other distant countries.
- Your buy power is big, meaning you can have things that you would need to earn a massive amount of money in the BRIC(Brazil, Russia, India and China).
- Safety. Brazil is not the safest country in the world, so comparing to it, when I am walking here in the UK, I feel safe. Of course, there are places that are not that safe, but in general, you have a better quality of life.
The list goes on, and you probably have your reasons for thinking about moving abroad. If you read up to here, please leave a clap and don’t hesitate in getting in touch, change of life is always hard, so I am always open for a chat 👋